What: It's Puppets, Food and Fun at the Hazel Green Opera House, on the street in front and just down the street, at the United Methodist Church Hall.
Who: Once we'd come up with the name PUP-A-FOO-GLEE for this expanded Day of Puppetry, we looked around at our puppets (we have a lot of puppets) and this brown guy with the big nose and fuzzy hair seemed to fit the bill. He just looked like a Pup-A-Foo-Glee. In another life (last year's festival?) he was Fluffel. So we made him a styrofoam hamburger, gave him a funny hat and a tambourine. And here he is:
You'll find the complete schedule below. We will try to keep it up to date. Scroll down and keep reading all the blog entries until you get to Cinderella. You'll find pictures and details about the shows and the food and the fun. Don't miss a minute of it.
- 10 a.m. -- “Three Winning Plays,” by the Fever River Puppeteers. A hand-and-rod show of the winning stories about river animals in the annual Puppet Play-Writing Contest. “Learning While Camping,” by Emma Kelsey, 9, of Dubuque; “The Adventure,” by Andy Michalski, 14, of Ft. Atkinson, Wis.; and “The Lead Foot Race,” by Darlene Farrey, of Galena, Ill.
- 1 p.m. – “Three Billy Goats Gruff,” by Corcoran Puppets, of Stevens Point, Wis., features handmade wool-felted handpuppets in the timeless tale.
- 2:30 p.m. – “Hans My Hedgehog,” by Sea Beast Puppets, of Chicago. This is a large-scale shadow puppet show depicting the charming but lesser known Grimm’s fairy tale.
- 10:45-11:15 a.m. – Yoga for kids younger than 7, with Deb May
- 11:30-noon – Yoga for kids 7 and older, with Deb May
- 1:45-2:15 p.m. – Music for Tots, with Catherine Douillet, an activity for infants to preschoolers
- Mid-day – Sherman the Dragon, a large-scale walking puppet by Oshkosh, Wis., puppeteer Jeff Decker.
- Fever River String Band
- 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. – Lunch concessions by the Hazel Green Lions and Leo Club
- 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. – Chalk drawing, painting, puppet-making and snack concessions by Southwestern High School student groups.