Monday, July 5, 2010

Marionette class


Last week, I taught a morning class on making marionettes for the Benton School summer rec program.
Here are the results! In four two-hour sessions, each kid made a marionette. I had the heads, hands and feet roughed out in styrofoam balls and styrofoam pieces. They had to squish on the Paper Clay and then add a sealer and paint. They made the arms and legs out of toilet paper tubes. When they chose their characters, I sewed the bodies for them at home. They stuffed them and glued matching fabric to the arms and legs.
They hardest part for them, I think, was sewing the arms and legs to the shoulders and "thighs." And the stringing. I precut and (and knotted some of) the strings and made the wooden controllers at home. I set aside the last morning just for the stringing.
This workshop has a lot of possibilities and I scheduled it last winter for 2 Saturdays at the opera house, but no one signed up. Apparently it was too big a time committment. (Paper Clay needs at least one day to air dry before painting, so it can't be done in one day.)
Maybe this winter I will offer it again but set it up as many "open studio" work days and maybe people will be able to work it into their schedules. I'm open to suggestions.

No comments: